Privacy Policy

Easy Ways To Pay It Forward

December 1, 2017 arynh 20 Comments

Easy Ways To Pay It Forward

December 1, 2017 arynh 20 Comments

Growing up, I remember every holiday season, my parents would find a way to help us pay it forward. One year, I remember getting up extra early and delivering hot chocolate and pastries to all of the crossing guards in our school district. I was a teenager then, and seeing the smiles on their faces was so rewarding and memorable. I had grumbled about it for days, but I definitely caught the giving bug after that.  And that compassion is something I really want to teach my own children.
My kids are too little to completely understand giving back, but we still try to give them examples of paying it forward. In the coming weeks, we will go pick an angel of the tree at our church, and I hope to get one of a child around the same age as my son so he can help pick the gift. There are so many things you can do to pay it forward, and you really don’t have to even spend any money. Here is a list of ways you can pay it forward this holiday season!

Do you have another idea or do something I left off my list? I want to know, how you guys teach your family the spirit of giving!

• Tiffany Khyla December 1, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I’ve been spending a lot of time volunteering at a local homeless shelter. I serve breakfast there a couple times a week before work. It’s an awesome way to give back. They also had something similar to an Angel Tree, and I bought three gifts for people in the shelter. It honestly feels so great to give back this time of year. I love these ideas you shared. I’ve paid for someone’s coffee before, and it was almost like a thrill. I felt so sneaky. I also think that giving back to the military is so important. They do so much for us!

• wcreamandsugar December 1, 2017 at 10:10 pm

It feels SO good, I agree!

• Crystal Santoría December 1, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Make mini cakes for those first responders. Volunteer at your local House of Ruth or Children’s hospital. Take coloring books and a toy and wrap them for those children in the hospital for the holidays.

• wcreamandsugar December 2, 2017 at 12:44 am

Those are great ideas too! I can’t believe I didn’t think about a children’s hospital

• Lauren December 1, 2017 at 11:31 pm

These are great ideas and many we’ve done with the kids at church. I really need to make a point to do more and talk about it with my kids. Thanks.

• wcreamandsugar December 3, 2017 at 4:51 am

We use our church as an opportunity to give alot too!

• littleprinceleopold December 2, 2017 at 4:50 am

I’ve been so bad this year! I wanted to make up a list like this for his advent calendar to do something kind every day! I know it’s not too late because it’s only the first, but still! Plus, he is only two so most of it will be lost on him anyway, but it’s best to start early!

• wcreamandsugar December 3, 2017 at 4:52 am

My son is almost 4, and this is the first year he is really understanding. It’s so hard when your busy with little hands!

• Bailey December 2, 2017 at 1:39 pm

I love this! As a military wife, I always appreciate when I see supporting deployed troops on this list. It’s so hard for them to be away at the holidays.

• wcreamandsugar December 3, 2017 at 4:48 am

Thank you for your service and sacrifice! I can’t imagine how tough it must be to not have your loved ones with you, espresso during the holidays

• Lisa December 2, 2017 at 5:33 pm

I am going to make an effort to complete each of the items on this list. I have a few crossed off already but I truly believe that the more we give, the happier we become!

• wcreamandsugar December 3, 2017 at 4:50 am

Yes, giving truly is the best way to receive the holiday spirit

• Evelyn, Path of Presence December 3, 2017 at 1:40 am

This is a terrific lit to open the heart. Thank you for your wonderful suggestions! We enjoy making sandwiches, going into the inner city and passing them out to whoever wants one. <3

• wcreamandsugar December 3, 2017 at 4:49 am

That is such a great idea!!

• Amy | Loving Our Messy December 3, 2017 at 4:23 am

These are such wonderful ideas! This is the first year a couple of my kiddos are old enough to really understand and participate in activities that serve others. Love this post!

• wcreamandsugar December 3, 2017 at 4:49 am

My son is just getting old enough to understand too! I’m glad you enjoyed it

• wcreamandsugar December 3, 2017 at 4:51 am

I’m glad so many other Mama’s are teaching these same things to their littles ❤️

• Nadene December 3, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Simple but effective. I’m going up donate hygiene packs I’ve decided

• lindsay December 4, 2017 at 10:24 am

love these ideas thanks for sharing

• Sanaa Brooks December 4, 2017 at 7:00 pm

That hot cocoa tip is amazing! That’s something I have to totally remember to do. Especially for the one we always see. She’s so nice to my daughter.

I'm Aryn, and I'm so glad you are here! I am a plus size mom on a journey to self love. Passionate about maternal mental health, good skin care, and keeping it real. Here you'll find my musings on motherhood, favorite things, and hopefully a little solidarity too. So grab your favorite drink (Diet Coke for me!) and stay awhile! I can't wait to be friends! Read More

XO, Aryn

Let’s Be Friends

Hey There!

Never miss a post! Get blog updates, exclusive content, and a dose of self love right to your inbox.

Privacy Policy